Holton is a small rural village, situated between the A40 and M40 (Junction 8) some five miles east of Oxford.
The village history dates back to the Domesday records. Holton Church, dedicated to St. Bartholomew, dates from the 12th Century. General Fairfax leader of the Parliamentary forces used Holton Park’s moated manor house as his headquarters during the final siege of Oxford and in 1646 General Ireton married Bridget Cromwell at Holton Park in the presence of her father Oliver Cromwell, whose signature is in the Church Register.
Holton Park estate was a former deer park and site of a medieval manor and moat, the manor being replaced in 1801 by a stone Gothic style building with characteristic castellated parapets. The moat still remains but no part of the original medieval building stands and the park wall is still a significant feature of the village. Included now within Holton Park are Wheatley Park School, the Park Sports Centre and the Oxfordshire County Library headquarters.
Oxford Brookes University Wheatley Campus is also located on part of the Holton Park estate within the boundary of the Parish of Holton.
Holton Village Hall has a large modern main hall, a small separate meeting room, fully equipped kitchen, licensed bar and wi-fi connection. There is a large car park and adjacent orchard for villagers to enjoy. ShareCare (day care for the elderly) is held at the Hall on Mondays and Wednesdays and the Hall is used by numerous village activities, for example Bridge Club, Table Tennis Club, Holton Players drama group, W.I. and Keep Fit classes. The Hall is also available for private bookings.
Holton Parish Council meetings are held on the 2nd Monday of the month (except August) in Holton Village Hall committee room. The meetings are open to members of the public and there is an Open Forum session.
All communications with Holton Parish Council should be made via the Clerk at email@example.com or on 01865 872334.
All Planning Applications can be viewed on the South Oxfordshire District Council website or by prior arrangement with the clerk.